"My Emergency Right Carotid Endarterectomy"

About: Queen's Medical Centre / Vascular surgery

My name is Paul and I'm a 60 year old male with a recent history of TIA's (mini strokes). After treatment for the TIA's and after numerous scans/tests it was advised that to reduce the risk of further TIA's or strokes it would be advisable to have surgery on my right carotid artery to improve the blood flow to my brain (my carotid arteries being quite badly "narrowed" by, shall we say, bad lifestyle habits i.e. smoking and other things). On Friday 16th September 2016 I was admitted to the QMC at 7.30am for an Emergency Right Carotid Endarterectomy. Went to the theatre mid afternoon for the operation which lasted about 2 hours with another 2 hours in Recovery. All went well and after an overnight stay I was discharged on the Saturday afternoon. Apart from the fact that there were long periods of boredom which was expected (I took a good book) and the fact that I was fully conscious during my operation (to better monitor me for any problems like stroke or brain function problems) I have nothing but praise for all QMC staff, medical and others who were responsible for my care. Whereas I won't comment on whether I would recommend the procedure I had I would wholeheartedly recommend the hospital and the care one would receive if they ever had to go to the QMC for treatment.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Hi Paul. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other patients and for giving QMC the ‘thumbs up.’ I have shared your feedback with the staff who were involved in your care and treatment. We wish you well in your recovery.

Rekhaben Patel