"Bowel cancer treatment at Furness General"

About: Cumbria Teaching PCT / District nursing Furness General Hospital / General surgery

Before I start I just want to make you aware that my wife and I retired to Cumbria from Stafford four years ago..

In October 2009,following a road accident a few weeks earlier, I went to my own GP as a result of some pain in my lower stomach. I thought it was connected with the road accident as it was where the seat belt lap strapcrossed my body.

Anyway, my Doctor, one of the best my wife and I have had, examined me and referred me to the Hospital. I had an appointment roughly 2 weeks after seeing my Doctor.

On visiting the hospital I was seen fairly quickly by one of the Doctors. At this point I would just like to pass on a comment. Basically the first thing the Doctor said was"This is old age." a totally unnecessary comment. Although I was 68 years old I believed I was quite fit, walking up to 10 miles a week and cycling a further 20 miles.

Anyway after an examination I was referred for a Colonoscopy and also a CT scan. The appointment was made and I attended for the Colonoscopy just over a week later and the CT scan the next day.

Following the Colonoscopy I was informed by the Consultant, Mr Kaushal that I had a tumour in my Bowel and he had made arrangements for an operation the following Friday. I had the CT scan the next day and had the operation the following Friday. The operation was a success. I was discharged from Hospital after 10 days. I have had a PET scan at Preston. and have also had a consultation with the Oncologist. I was offered some Chemo but after consideration I declined the offer,

I have had another CT Scan which shows no change and at this time I am free from any other cancer.

During the whole of this time, apart from the unnecessary comment as outlined earler, I would just like to say that the treatment and care I have received from all the Staff, Pre op, the operation itself , and the aftercare , I would class as First Class. Of course there were some hiccups, but can only be expected when the nursing staff are put under extreme pressure. I can only have the utmost admiration for all those involved. And give my thanks for the total proffesionalism and the encouragement and good humour I received during my stay in Hospital.

Response from University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your comment, Tony. We apologise for our slow response, which is due to an email alert error. Thanks again!