"Delay in being taken to the labour ward"

About: Royal Alexandra Hospital / Maternity care

I went into hospital to start my induction in  August my water's broke on thethe next day at 5 in the morning. I was told labour suite was so busy they couldn't take me down and they couldn't give a timescale of when I would be taken down.

We went to the midwife to get a timescale to be told they couldn't tell us how long it would take. We wanted to speak with someone higher up so the Labour ward coordinator came up and said they were busy and no midwives were taking breaks as there was a backlog of births waiting.

I found the whole experience very frustrating as no one would kept us updated and the nursery auxiliary we spoke to were very rude and sharp. I was told by a midwife to press the call button when my btrace had finished and when I pressed the button I was greeted by a very angry nursing auxiliary saying we are all very busy here.

I strongly believe from when my water's broke till the time I was taken down to the Labour ward at 8 o clock that night I contracted an infection as a resulting this.

Response from Marie Farrell, Sector Director - Clyde, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde

Dear T Moony

I am really sorry that you had such a poor experience when you attended the RAH maternity unit. If you would like to contact me with your details I will link with the service to allow me to provide you with a detailed response. You can email me at Marie.Farrell@ggc.scot.nhs.uk

Response from Coral Brady, Business & Admin Manager, Women & Children's Services, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde

Dear T Mooney,

Firstly, please accept my sincere congratulation on the birth of your new baby.

I am sorry that you found the experience of your induction of labour to be frustrating.

It is very understandable that you wanted your labour to be started as soon as possible. I can advise there were several women waiting to be induced that day and in those circumstances, clinical staff have to undertake a risk assessment of those waiting to determine the order of priority on the basis of clinical saftey.

I note that our unit co-ordinator was able to explain the cause of delay to you, albeit I appreciate this would not take away your frustration.

I also want to reassure you that National guidelines give up to 48 hours before starting induction of labour for broken waters. I hope this alleviates your infection concerns.

I am so sorry you experienced rudeness from one of our staff members. Please be assured that this is not the standard of care expected within the maternity unit, and your comments have been fed back to the ward.

Evelyn Frame