"Thurland ward"

About: Forensic mental health / Low secure services

Having just recently transferred to this ward, I have to say the care and professionalism shown to my family member has in my opinion been nothing short of appalling.

I think the transition from the old ward to this one has been atrocious, this could be because of lack of preparation/handover notes, or could simply be due to incompetence.

The approach of staff seems to be somewhat autocratic with no attempt to understand the patient, their complex needs and how to build up trust.

External visits using taxi's were halted for my relative immediately upon arriving at this ward....explanation given was simply that of 'we don't do that on this ward'! No review of the patients personal circumstances, in relation to a variety of health conditions which make walking long distances difficult; not to mention the detrimental effects which the sedentary lifestyle of long-term hospital stays can bring.

This is a hospital but time and time again I start to question if it really is a place to get better. I feel as though the staff are resentful of patients and often have no patience or empathy for their illnesses; or this could just be the case for my relative! Trying to complain about the service is a chore, senior staff not even being aware of where the equality and diversity policies are etc, etc. Patient autonomy is not respected or maintained, with my relative not being allowed to make a phone call without staff present.

Maintenance of the building is slow, issues with air conditioning and public call boxes all requiring attention for in excess of 4 weeks.

I want to have faith that this ward and wider hospital is here to rehabilitate patients, however, at the moment I fear it is a place to get worse.

From a disappointed and disillusioned relative

Response from Gregg Murray, Deputy Modern Matron, The Wells Road Centre, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Korky,

I am sorry to hear that your experience of the service has not been positive. There are systems in place to ensure that patients receive a high standard of care in the areas you have reported though I would need to discuss these issues with you to find out what the specific challenges are for each point. It may be that there are lessons to be learnt from this situation.

I will also chase up the maintenance issues you have reported.

(I am available on 0115 969 1300 ext 10660/ 11104)

Yours Sincerely