"Poor communication"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency

(as a parent/guardian),

I visited Lincoln A&E with my 3 year old daughter on Wednesday.

On our arrival we were ignored by the person on reception who was busy on her computer but didn't even acknowledge us until she had finished what she was doing.

We were then taken through to triage by a nurse. My daughter was scared and upset being only three years old following a fall at nursery, she had never had to go to hospital at all and it was all very frightening for her. The nurse we saw did nothing to put my daughter at ease and spoke to her as tho she was an adult, with no explanation to her or myself as to what she was doing and why! She took her blood pressure and when the cuff went tight my daughter started to panic. Instead of telling her this was normal and not to worry she said she didn't need to do her blood pressure anyway and wouldn't record the reading as it was 142/90 far to high and would be giving that reading as she was crying and clenching her fist. There was no empathy or compassion for my daughter who is just a little girl who was scared and never been to hospital before, I felt so disappointed with how she treated her.

Hours later my daughter was crying saying the lady at the hospital hurt her arm ( meaning blood pressure cuff) if the nurse had only explained I feel that my daughter would have bad a less traumatic experience.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Concerned Mummy

I apologise for the experience that both you and your daughter had during your recent attendance to A&E, this is not the level of care that we expect from the reception or nursing team and I will be sharing your concerns with all of the staff. I hope that by sharing this negative experience the team will reflect on the concerns you have raised and learn from them.

If you would like me to investigate this with the individuals concerned I will need your daughter’s name and the date you attended, please e-mail PALS@ulh.nhs.uk, quoting reference PO 313291. Please include your telephone number if you would like me to call to discuss this with you.

Regards