"ENT waiting times"

About: Ayr Hospital / Ear, Nose & Throat

My mother-in-law who is in her 90's has been waiting for more than 14 weeks she phoned the appointments department and was told she was not on the list yet. Was informed that they would try and offer her a cancellation if it came up.

My mother-in-law is in a difficult situation where she is looking after her 95 year old husband who's health is not good as well as looking after her daughter who has MS. A short notice appointment is inappropriate in this situation. She require to be able to hear well to be able to hear when her daughter calls out at night. As a result of the hearing problem she is not sleeping at night for fear of not hearing her ill daughter.

Dear Lizbeth,

I see this must be quite a problem for your mother-in-law and I am so sorry that having to wait is making her life even more difficult. I have spoken to the Senior man in ENT and he informed me that the waiting times for ENT are sadly about 26 weeks currently due to the high demand we are experiencing.

We wonder if the referral has been made and where your mother-in-law should have been referred e.g. should it have been audiology?

We would like to look into this and see what we can find out. Could you possible contact me so we can get the details we need to look into it for you? I can be contacted on 01563 826222 or Eunice.goodwion@aapct.scot.nhs.uk.

Again,. I am sorry this is a difficult position for your mother-in-law. Thank you for sharing this story with us.

Best wishes,

Eunice

• Lizbeth thinks this response is helpful

Dear Lizbeth,

Thank you for getting in touch. As you know, I will come back to you once I have checked a few things as we agreed.

Eunice