"Why did consultants not talk to each other?"

About: Glasgow Royal Infirmary / Trauma & orthopaedics

Admitted in june with bulging disc under a really good consultant kept me informed. Then discharged and readmitted after clinic appt with above consultant, then downhill as was admitted under different consultant. I was then transferred from 61 to 27 where the recent consultant rarely saw me, no mention of treatment but was revisiting all old treatment that initial consultant had tried. I'm now discharged (self catheterisation)? ? ? ? ? New symptom but no discussion as to why happened. Am awaiting on referrals to spinal surgeon, pain team and urology which latter is in December! Why did consultants not talk to each other re treatment as felt like a pawn! I'm also involved with nhs as job so I have knowledge of this process and treatment and feel I was subsequently ignored by the consultants. On a lighter note the nurses in 61 and 27 were fantastic.

Response from Lisa Ramsay, Patient Experience Public Involvement Team Support, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Dear Amcb

Thank you for taking the time to post on Patient Opinion. I am sorry about what has happened during your care in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. We do not want any of our patients to feel like they have been ignored and to feel like they have not been given sufficient information about their health.

I would like to look into what you have raised in your post. In order for me to do, would you please email Lisa.Ramsay@ggc.scot.nhs.uk with some personal details. I will share your feedback with the service, where they will be able to provide you with more information than I can.

Thank you for your kind words about the nurses in wards 27 and 61, I will ensure they are shared with the staff.

Best wishes

• Amcb thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Amcb (the patient)

Since this letter I penned I was told latter consultant would refer me to spinal at qeuh of which I found out 2 weeks later he hadn't so my gp has had to make referral, of which I've heard nothing, I'm off work and very frustrated as pain clinic appt maybe Feb 2017 and urology Dec 2016!!!! This is ridiculous this waiting. I just hope what is wrong isn't serious but readmission for uti (admitted to surgical?????) why as not surgical issue! I am now suffering from another uti while I wait for clinic appts and am frightened to go back into gri to be and tablets mucked about made worse and more importantly not listened to!!!