"What is the point in consulting a Doctor or any other person in pain management?"

About: Queen Margaret Hospital / Pain management

I was referred by my GP to Pain Management in Fife, nearly a hundred mile trip but would have tried to go anyhow until my appointment arrived. The letter more or less was ambiguous in words, details follows.

On filling details on the questionnaire I was feeling confident that help was on the way, sadly that is certainly not the case.

What is the point on going if the letter that I received states no miracle cures, no medical intervention and the basis for help is on the patient's onus to help theirselves, not for NHS Fife's to help

Excuse me! But isn't that why NHS is here? States no further treatment can be given, like medication or very unlikely there will be any new treatment available

It implies that the sole onus is with the patient, so what is the point in consulting a Doctor or any other person in pain management if you do not act to give advice to suit individual needs. That advice should be all whether medication or alternative treatments, or am I wrong in thinking this?

It stated I'd be seen by a Doctor and other professionals to help reduce chronic pain that has been around for years, do they have magic powder or once again I have to live as is, zero help.

So once again I am up against a brick wall, shocking treatment and damned disgusted is the words.

I realised what a waste of time asking for help, waste of time filling in the questionnaire, my experience of NHS Scotland is doubting that you provide any service whatsoever.

Now I will have to contact my GP explain what is wrong, that NHS Fife Dunfermline states they do not provide any treatment or medication or advice via Doctor, Physio' and anyone else in so called Pain Management, very angry patient.

Response from Arlene Saunderson, Head of Nursing, Planned care, Planned Care, NHS Fife

Dear Myopinions59

Thank you for sharing with us through patient opinion your feelings regarding the Pain Management Service. I understand that you feel disappointed in the pain service introduction letter and questionnaire and you have indicated that you will now not attend for your appointment.

Immediately reading your post I spoke with Fran Proctor who is our Clinical Service Lead and Nurse Specialist. Fran would be pleased to listen to your concerns and better explain the pain service and how they might be able to assist you. Fran can be contacted on 01383 623623 ext 24749.

Alternatively, you can initially contact myself to discuss this, on 01383623623 ext 22937

regards Arlene

• Myopinions59 thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Myopinions59 (the patient)

It's unfortunate but I have cancelled my appointment,I know that NHS is under immense stress with regards to funding,and it's best not to visit my GP again to request another one.

I will in due course inform the surgery that I won't be attending the clinic in Dunfermline,and that the journey's too long and would be traveling a round trip of approximately 4 hours.

The chances of finding suitable arrangements are nil,I do not like attending hospitals or doctors at anytime,as I stated this condition is beyond medication use.

I have tried gabapentin also pregabalin with co-codamol,they do not work with me in offering pain reduction.

So I am back on amitriptyline and co-codamols daily with very little relief,if only the factor the amitriptyline helps the sleep pattern but not Neuropathy.

I think I can say that I was recommended by my doctor as the situation's not what I want,hence pain management course,but now lack faith in anymore treatment.

Dear Myopinions59,

Thank you for your further post. It sounds like you are having a really difficult time and I am sorry to hear that. I would be keen that you were given the opportunity to explore any possibilities of what we might do to support you. Please consider calling Fran or myself to discuss further.

Regards Arlene