"Delays in treatment and lack of communication"

About: Bromley Healthcare / Podiatry

In September 2015 I was referred by my rheumatologist as I was having difficulty walking. I heard nothing. After 6 weeks I rang the Beckenham Beacon number. The answerphone message was unfriendly. I left a message and heard nothing further. A few weeks later I could barely walk and decided the only option was to see a private podiatrist. After an hour's appointment, examination of foot and gait and plaster casts taken, orthotics were ordered. A couple of weeks later I was able to walk again.

Two weeks ago I had a letter (just under 1 year after the referral! ) saying an appointment had been made and I had 21 days to respond; I had a reminder today. If only communications worked both ways. In fact if there had been a voice on the end of the line to tell me that nothing would happen for a year I would have opted to pay. I know not everyone has that option so all the more reason for letting me know so someone else can get to see someone quicker.

Response from Amanda Mayo, Head of Nursing, Quality Team, Bromley Healthcare

I am so sorry that this has been your experience of our podiatry service.

Could I ask that you email me with your name, address and contact details and I will pass them onto the service lead to get in touch with you over the coming days to provide you with an explanation of why this may have been the case and to make improvements if necessary to our service..

My email address is Amanda.mayo@bromleyhealthcare-chic.nhs.uk

Once again, I am very sorry.

Response from Julie Miller, Quality Manager, Bromley Healthcare We have made a change

Thank you once again for your posting as a result of which the service lead has implemented a number of changes.

The answer phone message at Beckenham Beacon Podiatry has been changed to ensure that the message is more friendly.

All answer phone messages are now monitored daily by a designated member of the administrative team Clinical queries are added to the team lead diary and they are monitored on a daily basis. Any administrative queries are process that same day.

A current initiative is in progress as a result of which the department expect to see a significant reduction in the Waiting Times for New MSK patients.

I do hope that you are assured that we have made improvements in the service that we offer to patients.

Thank you once again for taking the time to raise these issues.