"Preventable distressing experience"

About: The Tunbridge Wells Hospital

Visiting the short stay surgical unit for an an invasive procedure and suffering from PSTD from previous traumatic surgical procedures, I was treated very gently and kindly by almost all staff until I was due to go for the anaesthetic. I had been assured my husband could accompany me -as parents do for their children - but as we were about to proceed, we were curtly told by a junior member of staff "that's not going to happen" and when we politely questioned this, a senior member of staff refused to allow my husband to enter even though he was prepared to wear a gown. The tone of voice used and lack of compassion for my obvious distress triggered a panic attack. This could have been avoided. After my operation it was discovered that some of my clothes had been left in the changing room but I had to wait a further 2 hours after discharge before they were finally returned and I could get dressed. Sadly, although most of the staff appear to know how to treat patients with respect and kindness, the two mentioned above do not.