"I was made to feel like a valued person rather than a 'patient'"

About: Holme Valley Memorial Hospital Huddersfield Royal Infirmary / Trauma and orthopaedics

I was referred to the Podiatry clinic at Holme Valley Memorial hospital for problems with a bunion and hammer toe. The surgeon talked through the various options for corrective surgery which was deemed necessary. I was given frank and honest information about the pros and cons of two surgical options: corrective surgery or toe amputation. Following consultation I opted for corrective surgery. The staff ensured I had all the information discussed in a paper copy to take home, so I could ensure the decision made was right for me, the surgeon gave plenty of advice but I felt that the decision was very much mine to make.

On a follow up pre-op appointment I confirmed the decision to have the bunion and hammer toe corrected, the extent of the surgery, what it involved during and after the operation was made very clear and again given in hard copy form. I had a successful operation, the staff were so friendly and comforting throughout the experience. They made me feel like they cared about me, I wasn't just a case number passing through. I was never made to feel like I wasn't in control, my welfare was constantly checked all through the surgery. I have never had an operation before and was concerned about being conscious through it, but the experience was a very positive one (I wouldn't say it was enjoyable, but I can say it was better than I feared! ). I was talked through all stages and warned of what I should and shouldn't feel, so again I felt in control within the experience.

The recovery went really well. I followed all advice regarding what to do and not do and found my recovery to be problem free and within the expected timescale. I was always told to contact without hesitation if I was worried. I never needed to but felt I could have called with any worries and they would have been handled with care and support. The staff at the hospital from receptionists, nurses to surgeons and orderlies were always polite, professional, friendly and approachable. I was made to feel like a valued person rather than a 'patient'.

Response from Adele Muir, Assistant Manager of Patient Experience, Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to write with your kind words. I will ensure these are shared with those staff who cared for you.

Patient Advice & Complaints Service
Calderdale & Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust
Huddersfield Royal Infirmary
Acre Street

0800 013 0018 | patientadvice@cht.nhs.uk

Response from Sarah True, Customer Engagement Manager, Locala Community Partnerships

Dear Relieveditsover

Thank you so much for sharing this feedback. We are so pleased you had such a positive experience whilst in our care. We certainly try to ensure people who visit us are treated as individuals and their needs are at the centre of everything we do. Not only is it wonderful to be able to share this with the team involved in your care but it might just help some people who are worried about having a procedure like this in the future.

Thanks again