"Giving birth at Heartlands Hospital was the..."

About: Heartlands Hospital / Maternity

I had a terrible experience at Heartlands Hospital (Maternity Unit). I was induced at 38 weeks (due to complications). I was told by one of the senior doctors because my body frame is small it is most likely I will need assistance during labour. I was told that I would have a doctor present. This made me panic. I did not know what to expect (this being my first baby). The night before having my baby I was bleeding. When I told the nurses they said "we have monitered the baby and everything is fine so go to sleep". At this point I was crying and scared. I did not know what to do? I was forced to go to sleep. Next day the nurses didnt seemed bothered. They monitored the baby and then broke my waters. Come labour time I had a mid wife and a trainee assisting me. The midwife didnt even seem concerned when I was having my contractions. All they kept saying "you are doing fine and push when u feel like pushing". The trainee was more concered about having a conversation with the mid wife about their life. When the nurse and trainees shift was done they just greeted the night staff and left the room. I found the night staff extremely moody and they didnt really want to be there. At the end I had a forcep delivery. I believe due to the nurses making me feel uncomfortable I was not able to push in labour the way I hoped. Overall I had a negative experience and I hope no woman encounters what I did.

Dear Anonymous

thank you for your post regarding your birth experience at Heartlands Hospital.

Firstly may I congratulate you on the birth of your baby and I am sorry that you have concerns.

I would very much like the opportunity to look into this in more detail and would be most appreciative if you could contact me at your convenience so that I may obtain some more information from you?

I can be contacted by email: marie.helebert@nhs.net or by telephone: 0121 424 0808 9am - 2pm Monday to Friday. Outside of these hours there is a voicemail service. Please leave your name and number and state that it is with regard to a Patient Opinion post and I will return your call on my return to the office.

I hope this is acceptable and once again thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, it is very important to us.

Marie Helebert