"Excellent Surgical Care"

About: Croydon University Hospital / General surgery

My treatment at this hospital has always been better when having been to the GP first, if I had not been sent to the hospital with a letter from the GP to the surgical team I doubt I would have been seen so quickly. I have done this before where I have visited the GP because the A&E always has huge wait times and sometimes patronising and unhelpful staff. Even though I should have gone straight to A&E I did not because of this reason, it took an hour to be given pain relief even though I was screaming and crying in pain. The staff barely even look at you and take no notice in A&E, in reception I was meant to go straight through but the receptionist told my mother I had to wait for the triage nurse (again screaming and crying in pain) so when the triage nurse said no you give to reception and go straight through, again another delay in treatment for or reason. The treatment in A&E is pretty appalling and no matter what your condition staff dont seem bothered until you have a senior doctor visit you, I saw a HCA and a nurse who did not say a single word to me and just put me in a chair to take blood. Once I saw the surgical team everything was done proficiently and swiftly. I can not fault the surgical staff or ward staff, they were amazing. I am not writing this review to dampen the hospitals reputation, because like I said the surgical and ward staff and the treatment from them was exceptional, but I write this so hopefully they can make changes to A&E because that's where they need to improve. It also doesn't help A&E is currently a building site and is currently a port-a-cabin entrance, not that great when your trying to rush someone to the hospital and can't find the entrance! All of the stars I have given are for the surgical team, theatre staff and ward staff, if I was reviewing A&E I would give no stars especially for dignity and respect and staff co-operation.

Response from Head of Patient Experience, Croydon Health Services NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience. I am pleased that the surgical teams looked after you so well and I will ensure that your kind words are passed on as it is always nice to receive a compliment.

We value your feedback and so it was disappointing to hear that your experience in A&E was not positive. I am unable to tell from the information you shared who was responsible for your care and treatment in A&E, however if you contact our PALS office with more information I will be happy to ensure that the circumstances are fully investigated.

Our PALS office may be contacted on 020 8401 3210 or by email ch-tr.pals@nhs.net

Regards

Hilary Frayne

Response from Hilary Frayne, Head of Nursing for Patient Experience, Croydon Health Services NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent visit to the Emergency Department.

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience within the department. Your comments will be discussed with the Management team in the Emergency Department and will also be shared further with the nursing team to ensure that we use this as an opportunity to learn from feedback

Samantha Goldberg, Associate Director of Operations