"Have to pay for private consultation"

About: Darlington Memorial Hospital / Ophthalmology

I am quite confused by your policies, since I understand the cataract surgery contract is held by Specsavers.

An optometrist from there referred me for an ophthalmology appointment because they said I had a large and fast-growing cataract at the level for surgery.

The consultant said it was slow growing and small, although I had a major drop in visual acuity this year and cannot even see well with new glasses. I was only offered another appointment in several months.

I am having to pay to see another consultant elsewhere since I am confused how two medical professionals working for the same private firm have such differing views.

Meanwhile, my sight continues to worsen.

Response from Darlington Memorial Hospital

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent experience of the Ophthalmology Dept at Darlington Memorial Hospital.

I am very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your experience on this occasion and we will make sure your feedback is passed to the Matron and Service Manager.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you and if you would like to contact us with your name and some more details it would enable the Matron/Manager to look into your concerns for you.

If you feel this would be useful please contact the Trust’s Patient Experience Team on 0800 7835774.

If you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is cdda-tr.patientexperiencecddft@nhs.net

If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients.

Thank you for leaving your comments on NHS Choices.

Patient Experience Team