"At night it is like a ghost town"

About: Grantham & District Hospital

(as a parent/guardian),

I can only presume this will be one in a long list of emails that you've received with regards to the hospital and the closures etc. I'm not normally one to make such an email but felt it right to tell you of my visit Wednesday night and what I saw or didn't see for that matter.

My little boy had an mri scan booked in at 7. 30pm. We arrived 20mins early and we're advised to go in via maternity .... well we all know there is no maternity unit. A&E closed, outpatients closed, everywhere closed but the kingfisher children's ward... by which time we've walked half way round the grounds of the hospital trying to get to our appointment on time. We made it with 2 mins to spare. We saw the 2 staff members in mri and 1 other staff in the whole of the hospital. Got lost trying to get out of the building and on a night it's like a ghost town, horror movie ish and my 5yr old boy was tired out and scared.

Outside there are people trying to find the out of hours walking around the building grounds as nothing is very well signposted, in dressing gowns etc. I saw an elderly lady in and wheelchair outside what should be a & e, I don't know why she was there going in, coming out but she shouldn't have been there, an ambulance pulled up to A&E but then what do they do...there's noone there!

I understand cuts have to be made but this current way of working is going to be detrimental to someone's life and then it will literally hit the fan.

I'm pleased we only had an appointment to keep and my boy wasn't ill else I would have been distraught by the time I found my way in.

I think it needs staff, it needs better signage, it needs something to happen and soon.

Please please try and take not of what I'm saying here, I think the town needs a hospital that is open.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Rl76,

I am sorry that you had a poor experience while visiting.

The entrance to the hospital after 18:30 is via the tower block (historically the maternity unit). I apologise that you were given misleading information by the staff.

While the A&E closes to new patients at 18:30 there will still be patients who are being diagnosed and treated and ambulances will still be arriving out of hours to collect patients that need to be either returned home or to another hospital site. Please be assured that the wards and departments are still open, however at that time of night the outpatient facilities are closed.

The signage on the site is being reviewed to ensure that all visitors are able to identify how to find services that are still open, which car park to use in the evening and to ensure that the lights are on.

Many thanks for this feedback.

John A Boulton,