"Care before, during and after the surgery was outstanding"

About: Leighton Hospital / Accident and emergency Leighton Hospital / Cardiology Royal Stoke University Hospital

Diagnosed with dilated aortic root and consequent aortic valve regurgitation. After extensive diagnostic tests at Leighton and Stoke cardiac departments was recommended for surgery at Stoke. I had surgery to replace the aortic root, spare the aortic valve and graft a coronary artery. Care before, during and after the surgery was outstanding. The dedication of the surgery, CCU and cardiac and administration teams was excellent. Surgery took several hours, in hospital for one week. Pain was well managed and getting back on my feet quickly helped tremendously. After nine weeks I am back to walking several miles a day in a hilly environment, driving short distances. Still get tired. Would I go through this if I had known about the journey beforehand. Absolutely no hesitation and new lease of life going forward. Special mention to the surgeon Mr Swami and to the CCU staff who not only dealt with me but were excellent with my relatives who probably went through more trauma than myself.

Response from Royal Stoke University Hospital

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at our hospital. I was so pleased to read about the excellent care you received and have shared your kind words with the staff who were involved in your care. I am sure your posting will help to assure other patients who may find themselves needing similar surgery.

With best wishes

Angela Grocott, Head of Patient Experience.

Response from Leighton Hospital

We are delighted to hear your very kind words about your recent stay with us, and wanted to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.

We have shared your comments with the teams, who are pleased to hear that you are now on the road to recovery.

Please accept my best wishes,

Naomi Jenkins,