"Beware of BCHA Leaving Hospital Support Service"

About: Royal Bournemouth General Hospital

Our family was shocked to discover that when our mother was discharged from hospital she had an envelope with her containing a Dorset Wide Single Assessment form completed by an

Advocacy and Support Worker from BCHA Leaving Hospital Support Service.

Not only had we never been informed of the assessment that had taken place two weeks previously by the team concerned but there were numerous serious errors in the assessment and additionally, and more worryingly, the support worker had got our mother to sign the form when she had limited mental capacity.

This is a serious breach of confidentiality of a vulnerable person so I have complained to PALS and BCHA and await their responses.

Response from Royal Bournemouth General Hospital

Dear ‘Podge65’

We are sorry to hear that after such a positive 4 week stay on the Stroke Unit you and your mother were left disappointed with her discharge to home.

The points you raised are of great concern to us and as you mentioned speaking with PALS I have also liaised with them over the issues you highlighted.

They have informed me that you are formally addressing these concerns directly with them and they will be fully reviewed during this process.

As you are pursuing a formal path I ‘am confident that a thorough and transparent investigation will take place and I will leave you in our complaint manager’s hands’.

We wish you all well for the future.

Patient Engagement Team