"Very poor service"

About: Grantham & District Hospital / Accident and emergency

I went there as I felt I had something in my eye. After seeing a trainee they told me that they could see it and applied some 'pain relief' drops before trying to get it out with a cotton bud. After failing to be able to retrieve it the trainee called in a senior doctor who notified me that it was actually a cut and not something stuck and that the trainee had put the wrong drop into my eye and it was not pain relief at all hence why I was in agony after being jabbed in an already sore eye with a cotton bud. I was then referred to Lincoln where I received similar poor treatment as the doctor saw me for about 30 seconds and pretty much told me that it was all my fault for wearing contact lenses too much and that I was likely to go blind (a hell of a bombshell) and was reluctant to answer any of my questions (they must have reached their patient quota for the day). After poor services at both Lincoln and Grantham I went to Nottingham where I had great service and an understanding doctor who was happy to help and answer all my questions and also tell me that both diagnosis of Grantham and Lincoln were wrong and that it was nothing to do with contact lenses or a scratch. Based on this my recommendation would be to stay well clear of Grantham and Lincoln and instead go to Nottingham where you will get a much friendlier service and a proper diagnosis.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Will,

I am was very sorry to hear about your experience in the Emergency Department and apologise for this. This is not the standard of care we hope to provide.

If you are able to contact PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) here at the hospital (Tel: 01522 707071) to inform them of your full name and the date you attended, I will be able to investigate this further and provide you with a full response.

Dr Meg Kelly,

Consultant A&E, Lincoln County Hospital

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Will,

Reiterating Dr Kelly’s response, I am also sorry to hear about your experience in the Emergency Department at Grantham, and apologise for this.

I am unable to identify your hospital record from the name that you have given. If you are able to contact PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) either at Lincoln as Dr Kelly suggested, or at Grantham on 01476 484861, and let them have your full name and the date you attended, we can give you a full response to the issues you have raised in your feedback.

Mr Furat Murrani,