About: Leicester Royal Infirmary / Maternity

Please can something be done about the smoking right outside the doors of the Kensington antenatal clinic. I visited this week for my first scan and was disgusted how much the whole antenatal clinic stank of cigarettes. The two main doors were open and it was blowing right through, it's bad enough as a non smoker but even worse when you aren't feeling the best. Can you not make them go to a designated area or cross over the road. I could even smell cannabis which is appalling. It has really made me think about changing hospital. I have done my very best to avoid smoky environments I definetley don't expect to have to put up with it at a hospital. Please sort it I wasn't the only one unhappy about this. Thankyou

Response from Leicester Royal Infirmary

Dear reviewer,

We are truly sorry for this experience and you are right, it is unacceptable. We have a strict non-smoking policy for our hospitals. Staff are not permitted to smoke on-site at all and patients are only permitted to smoke in the designated shelters. However, many patients and members of the public ignore the signage, loud-speaker messages and security staff who ask them to move.

Our faciltities team continue to work hard to enforce the policy and your feedback has been passed onto the director of estates & facilities, as well as the Head of Midwifery, so they are aware of your feedback.

Communications Team