"Endoscopy Unit"

About: Monklands District General Hospital / Endoscopy

I attended the Unit today for a Gastroscopy having been offered a short notice cancellation 2 days ago.

I was extremely apprehensive about this procedure and had decided that I would be best suited to sedation. However having listened to nursing staff and hearing an elderly gentleman had managed without sedation and the thought of being there and incapacitated perhaps for 24 hours I decided to try the throat spray. I am so glad I did. It was a uncomfortable experience but short lived and I was home an hour after my appointment time.

From the booking office, reception, nursing and specialist nurses my experience was efficient, friendly and professional.

My advise to other reluctant patients is opt for throat spray and listen and follow instructions from the professionals.

I'm very relieved this afternoon and not sure why I worried so much.

Please thank everyone involved.

Response from Gwen MacIntyre, Senior Nurse, Surgical & Critical care, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear Purple rain,

Thank you for not only your praise of our staff and service, but for also sharing your experience for the benefit of other patients. Any tests or examinations can hold a varying degree of anxiety for us all.

I'm really pleased with your honest reflection as these tests may not be particularly pleasant but as you've experienced, the discomfort is relatively short lived and the tests can be extremely important.

It is the patient's decision as you will have discussed this with our team whether to have the spray or a sedation. And although the throat spray option may not be a universal option for all patients, it can speed up the discharge back to your comfortable home in relevant cases.

I'm delighted to pass your kind comments to our team and hope we can continue to provide you and your family with our best person centered care in years to come.

Kind Regards

Gwen

Response from Karen Black, Senior Nurse, Surgical & Critical Care, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Purple Rain,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your very positive experience regarding the Person Centred treatment and service you received in the Endoscopy Unit in Monklands.

I am delighted that the staff alievited any anxiety and concerns prior to during and post procedure which resulted in a better recovery for yourself.

I will have pleasure in passing on your comments and positive and reassuring comments to all of the staff within Endoscopy

Kind Regards

Karen

• Purple rain thinks this response is helpful