"A&E Shocking, Childrens Ward and Theatre staff..."

About: Pilgrim Hospital

My 10 year old son was experiencing right sided pain, fever, chills after speaking to 111 they advised to take him straight to A&E.

We arrived at midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Was seen by triage at 12.10.

Was advised of a 4/5 hour wait.

My son was in considerable discomfort and in the back of my mind and the reason I did indeed take him appendicitis...

I was eventually called through just after 6am.

6 hours after id walked through the doors.

The doctors explained they thought it could be either a water infection or his appendix and asked if he had given his water sample.

I explained this wasnt even requested.

They then took a sample it was tested and confirmed his water was fine.

Within 10 minutes a nurse was putting on magic cream for blood tests and he was being transfered to the ward.

Within 45 mins of being seen by the doctor we were up on the ward.

Almost immediatly the paediatric doctor was there to see him, and within 20 mins the surgeon was there.

He was then prepped for surgery.

Once he was eventually taken through the care he received was second to none.

The nursing staff / play team on the childrens ward were amazing.

They really really put my son whom was in pain and anxious at ease.

The surgeon explained everything to my son therefore gaining his trust.

The theatre staff whom were with my son when he went to sleep were fabulous... The after care was amazing...

after he was discharged I was getting my son into the car when a car stopped behind me and I heard "hello, how is he?"

I turned and recognised the person in the car as a member of the theatre team... My son also recognised them.

For them not just to recognise him but to stop and ask how he was doing was amazing...

it really made my son and I feel that he was more than just 'a patient'..

from the bottom of my heart I would like to thank all those that were involved in the amazing care my son received on the ward and in theatre

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Louise

I am the matron responsible for the children’s ward and I am very grateful for you kind and generous comments about the staff on the children’s ward. We know that being in hospital and particularly having surgery can be a very frightening time for children and parents and I am pleased that we helped support you all though that.

I am sorry that your experiences in A&E were less favourable but also delighted to hear that the surgical and theatre team provided you and your son with such good and compassionate care. This story has been shared with the matrons for these areas too.

I hope that your son is recovering well from their surgery.

Best wishes,

Terry Vine

Matron, Acute Paediatrics

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Louise,

I would, as Matron, on behalf of myself and my team like to offer the family sincere apologies for your wait in A&E. I understand how frightening and stressful it is when your child is unwell, this is compounded by long waits.

We are working really hard to improve our service in A&E and I will ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

I am delighted that your son is on the mend, and you have taken the time to feedback.

Kindest regards