"Dermatologist's could not stop laughing at me!"

About: Broadgreen Hospital

I had a wart on my right index finger and had been referred by my GP to Dermatology. When the Dermatologist arrived the Doctor appeared to have a complete lack of understanding as to what a wart is and specifically that a wart is caused by a virus (the HPV virus). I had been passed around the NHS for over 10 years when I had the first appointment and had been very distressed by the viral wart.

The Dermatologist had a very casual attitude and although it had been visible that I had been very distressed by the viral wart the Doctor failed to grasp why I thought the wart must be removed.

I then had a second appointment approximately 10 weeks later initially with the same consultant and then another consultant Dermatologist joined them. Both Doctor's told me there had been nothing there however it is clearly visible there had been a wart. I then received appointments at Garston Dermatology where the Dermatologist had been laughing that much they nearly fell off the chair and told me 'there is nothing there just ignore it'. What do I ignore if there is nothing there? I have also had an appointment at St Helen's Hospital Dermatology and this Doctor also misdiagnosed the wart. I have since paid privately at the Spire Hospital Mossley Hill and the wart has been diagnosed I have also paid for a biopsy privately at the Spire Hospital Mossley Hill and the biopsy result confirmed the viral wart on my right index finger. It is painfully obvious the Dermatologist's at Broadgreen Hospital are lacking clinical and scientific knowledge and with regards to treating warts have a complete lack of practical experience! Warts are caused by the HPV virus and depending on the strain of the HPV virus are potentially there for the rest of your life. As wrts are caused by a virus and viruses spread this as an acute health issue which the Dermatologists completely fail to grasp. As of the present time I have been passed around the NHS for over 11 1/2 years and not one NHS Doctor has ever diagnosed the wart however it has been diagnosed privately. One considers it unreasonable to be waiting for over 11 1/2 years for liquid nitrogen cryogenics to remove a wart. Each cryogenic session takes approximately 20 seconds and liquid nitrogen excluding the delivery fee costs approximately £1.20 per litre. The cryogenic sessions have to be repeated every 2-3 weeks potentially for over 12 months to remove the viral wart. Some of the comments from Dermatologists are listed below, a) there is nothing there just ignore it, b) it doesn't hurt just ignore it, c) just ignore it and learn to live with it. The conduct of the Dermatologist's is so grossly negligent to the extent that it is clear they simply do not know what they are doing and they use a small hand held magnifying glass to look at the wart. This magnifying glass is technology from the Victorian era which is grossly unsuitable for the task to the extent the LED light actually makes a wart more difficult to see but not impossible.

Response from Broadgreen Hospital

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience in our Dermatology Department. We would like to find out more from you so we can investigate your concerns properly. If you would like to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they will be able to help. You can contact them by phoning 0151 706 4903/4908/4909 or via PALS&complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk