"ARU Clinic appointment"

About: Aberdeen Maternity Hospital

My partner and I visited Aberdeen Fertility Unit Clinic for our first appointment, our initial discussions surrounding our options for starting a family and the results obtained from tests to date. Our Doctor was very polite and advised that he was running late but would be with us shortly, we did not mind this at all, in fact we were quite pleased to have been kept informed. I work in healthcare and understand that sometimes services run late because some patients require more time than others, on the understanding that should I need extra time, I also would receive it. However, our appointment was at the end of the day and the clinic was closing around us. We had a preliminary discussion with a HCSW, then seen our Doctor and was taken to have an intimate scan. We were taken to an initial scan room and then redirected to a second scan room, as the original one had been closed for the day. Following my scan we were then talked through the remainder of the consultation in said scan room which wasn't, if I'm honest very comfortable. Our Doctor had said we could go to another room but we were aware the clinic was closing and we felt rushed, so just went with it.

That said, the staff were very helpful and polite and the information we were given was clear. Although we may have been more inclined to ask questions had we not felt hurried by the goings on around us.

Response from Gwenda Burns, Infertility Network Scotland

Dear Slessor061213

My name is Gwenda Burns, Scottish Branch Coordinator with Fertility Network. We support, give advice and information to anyone going through the fertility journey. There are also meet up groups we run throughout Scotland including Aberdeen. If the charity can offer support in anyway please do not hesitate to get in touch by either email - gwenda@fertilitynetworkscotland.org or by phone 01294 279162

Best wishes

• Slessor061213 thinks this response is helpful

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear Slessor011213

Many thanks for taking time out to post your feedback on Patient Opinion. It is good to know that our staff were helpful and polite and that you received all the information you needed.

It is very unfortunate that you were seen so late in the day. I can imagine what it must have felt like to have the clinic close down around you. It would never be our plan to rush through such an important and sensitive consultation and I am sorry that it turned out that way for you. I would urge you to contact the service if you have any outstanding concerns or questions. I am sure they will do their best to accommodate you.

In the meantime, I will ask the service to respond to your concern. NHS Grampian has done some real-time patient feedback work in the Fertility Clinic and because of this we have a better understanding of what couples go through. Your experience and the fact that you have shared it will add to that body of knowledge which helps staff to understand what matters to patients and therefore to deliver a better service.

Thank you again and good luck.

Kind regards,

Dear Slessor061213

I now have a response fron the service. The Senior Charge Nurse & Fertility Specialist has asked me to communicate the following message:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and detail your experience and care received at Aberdeen Fertility Centre. Whilst you were satisfied with the information you received and consultation overall, our team failed to deliver the usual high standard of care; in particular, ensuring all clinical rooms were accessible until your appointment had concluded. Whilst we appreciate that not all clinics run to time - and irrespective, of clinic appointment time - better communication within the team could have ensured that a scan room was ready for you, and that the remainder of your consultation was provided in a non clinical room (as is standard practice). I have discussed the above with Nursing, Medical & Admin teams and will discuss further at our forthcoming risk management meeting, where we aim to learn from patient experience in an attempt to continually improve the service we provide.

I hope this reassures you that NHS Grampian is a listening to patients and using their experiences to improve care.

Kind regards,