"Pyogenic granuloma"

About: The New Selby War Memorial Hospital / Minor injuries unit

When repairing a wooden fence post in January a splinter went through my protective gloves and into my right middle finger. I thought nothing about it until the wound started to bleed continually. I made numerous visits to my GP and was treated but never sent for a x ray or wound clean. Eventually the wound became infected and I ended up being admitted to York Teaching Hospital, on a strike day, and operated on within the hour to cut and clean my finger. I was treated like a 'Private Patient' by the junior doctors, thanks to all. I stayed in hospital for a further three days on antibiotic drips. On my release I was refered to Mr Lim Consultant Plastic Surgeon who carried out a further procedure removing dead skin from my finger. Sadly I suffered a further set back when a Granuloma grew over my old wound. I was refered to Mr Lim on a Monday and thanks to a cancellation and a Theatre space was operated on the next day. My stiches have now been removed my finger looking more like it's normal self.

I feel like I have been treated like a 'private patient' and cannot praise NHS staff enough for all their care and consideration. My special thanks go to Mr Lim and his team who I am sure due to their action saved me from loosing the top of my finger.

'Thank you'

Response from Hester Rowell, Lead for Patient Experience, York Teaching Hospital NHS foundation Trust

Dear Mr Johnston

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, we are very glad to hear that your finger has healed well and that you had a positive experience of our team's care. I will make sure that Mr Lim and his team receive your feedback.

With best wishes