"wonderful place for A&E"

About: Whiston Hospital

Had the misfortune of slicing off the tip of my left little finger in a door.

The GlanClwyd hospital, Rhyl, took advice from Whiston and they agreed to see me.

My wife and I got there before 8am as advised, and in Reception we were handled quickly, then passed through the triage team and taken by a nurse to ward 3A, a long walk.

I was put in to a single room, and a nurse removed the old dressing and wrapped the hand in a material, to stop infection.

I was then within 30 mns visited by a surgeon, and two officers, one of whom took notes.

The surgeon had a good look at the wound and gave me three alternative treatments, which I assumed they would carry out themselves.

They were clear and incisive.

They said at the end that they favoured the action where there was no action, that the would could be left to heal itself, and the skin would connect by itself.

They said I was to come and see them again in six weeks.

We left much happier.

I thought the judgement of the surgeon was of the first class and I had every faith in them.

Since then, the dressing has been changed in Denbigh Minor Injuries hospital dpt.

They there did ask for instructions from Whiston as to the type of dressing needed, and asked me to ring the ward and ask for this.

Response from Whiston Hospital

Thank you for your positive rating of our services, which we will share with our teams in both the Emergency Department and 3A.

We are very proud of our staff and the work that they do. I hope your wound continues to heal well and wish you well for the future.