"i was waiting for nearly 2 hours,the ..."

About: King's Mill Hospital

i was waiting for nearly 2 hours,the information board read a 40 minutes wait,but this was changed to 1 hour and 10 minutes after other patients complained and even this was very optimistic

i had an appointment to discuss a replacement knee after having 3 arthroscopies at kings mill.however after it was forgotten to refer me to physio after my last operation until i went for my check up with the consultant i did have concerns about having a full replacement as i am a VERY active 54 year old and know that the lifespan of a replacement knee in younger patients is onkly about 10 years.also my mother had both her knees replaced at dri some years ago,but she was in her 70's.

on entering the room i was not even given the courtesy of being told the name of the person i was talking to.

i voiced my worries about the operation and also asked about length of recovery and how soon i would be able to swim,scuba dive and ski.i was told i would not be able to ski even langlauf although i do know of people who have had this proceedure and still ski(i have been ski-ing for 28 years)also i have been a swim coach and competative swimmer from the age of 11,so when the person i was speaking to promptly told me i needed to loose weight and to eat less sugar and more fruit i was somewhat taken aback as if my knee had been dealt with correctly in the first place i would not have gained weight.

also how dare they presume to know about my diet when they had not even had the courtesy to read my notes before i entered the room.i also feel that my concerns as to where the operation was to take place and doubts about referals for physio were not taken seriously.friends have had this operation done at barborough and been highly delighted with the outcome,but i have serious doubts if the consultant or registrars can leap to conclusions on the appearnce of their patients.

on the plus side the physio department were very good listening to the patients aspirations for recovery once i had been refered to them

Response from King's Mill Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on our service. Firstly, thank you for the kind comments regarding Physiotherapy which have been passed to the Therapy Services manager.

We are sorry that you are dissatisified with your recent treatment and appointment, your comments have been forwarded to the Service Lead for Orthopaedics and our Nursing Management in the Kings Treatment Centre. It is difficult to respond to you specifically via this website as we have no details but if you wish to discuss this further please contact our Patient Advice service on 01623 672222.