"excessively long waiting times"

About: Ayr Hospital / Ophthalmology

I am a regular attendee of the corneal review clinic at Ayr Hospital and I am appalled at the waiting times. The consultant advises I should have 6 monthly reviews however due to excessively long waiting times I only get called for appointment once a year.

Dear rie34,

I am sorry that I have taken so long to respond to your post and I am afraid it is probably a response you have anticipated.

The number of patients attending the eye clinics increases year on year. This increase in the number of patients presenting together with an increase in new treatments available for previously untreatable conditions makes it challenging to provide sufficient appointment slots for patients. With our surviving, aging population, treatments that were not commonplace e.g. cataract operations are now routine and carried out on a daily basis. It is great for patients that we are able to offer these treatments however this has caused an unprecedented increase on the demand on the current staffing and clinics.

I am sure you are thinking well that is all very well, but what are you doing about it? There is a lot of work on-going to address this but it will not happen overnight so I ask if you can be patient with us. on a practical level, if you want me to look into your particular case, I am happy to do so. If you would like to call me on 01563 826222 or email me on Eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk I can look into it for you.

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

Best wishes,