"Waiting a year for an operation already!"

About: Manchester Royal Infirmary

Having been referred to this department by my GP due to a perforated septum, I was put forward for an operation to repair the hole.

This was last August/September.

A year on, and i've heard absolutely nothing since! In the meantime, the hole in my septum is increasing in size, and will soon be at the point where an operation won't be possible! If I try to ring, no one ever answers the phone, and if I leave my number, no one calls back!

Response from Patient Experience Team, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

We were very sorry to receive your comments and concerns via the NHS Choices website regarding your prolonged wait for surgery as we understand that this is both frustrating and distressing. It would always be our expectation that you are kept informed as to the reasons for any delays and also that you are able to contact the department with any queries. We would like to apologise that this has not been your experience and your comments will be passed onto the Ear, Nose and Throat Department so that they are aware of your concerns.

It is very difficult for us to be able to respond to the specific concerns you have raised without being able to investigate them in detail and then offer you an informed explanation as to the possible reasons for the delays you have experienced. We take all issues surrounding patient care very seriously and would very much like to hear from you directly about this. If you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0161 276 8686 or by e-mailing pals@cmft.nhs.uk they will be happy to discuss this with you. Or you can telephone 0161 276 4099 / 0161 276 4367 in the ENT Department and your concerns will be escalated to the most appropriate member of the team.