"Crisis, what crisis"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Adult Mental Health Services - Community (County)

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

We were in crisis. My daughter was self harming to a very significant degree. She had been urgently referred to adult psychiatry - but we were copied in on a reply from the psychiatrist to the gp saying that as she had a history of eating disorder, they were not able to see her. So eventually we were referred to the adult eating disorder service. Meanwhile she just got worse and we were seriously concerned by her expression that she didn't want to be here anymore.

So, I thought to myself, during a particularly extensive episode of cutting, that this surely is what the crisis team existed for. Not so.

After a rather patronising phone call to the team they told me to take her to A&E to be assessed. So 7 hours later we were seen by the mental health liaison nurse who said he would refer her to the crisis team..

At least we now have telephone access to the crisis team. We've used it once: they told us to take her to Casualty...

Response from Ruth Gadd, Acting Service Manager , City Crisis Team, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS trust

Dear section 12 doctor

I would like to thank you for taking the time for responding on behalf of a carer/relative. I am unsure why the carer/relative was advised by the Crisis team staff member to take their daughter to the Emergency department if there was no medical reason to do so. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this in more detail, so I can investigate this matter further. I do recognise that this must have cause a great deal of distress for the family and I apologise for this.

My name is Ruth Gadd, I am the Service Manger of the Crisis teams in Nottingham and my contact details areas follows

Tel.0115 9691300 ex 12318