"Ophthalmology Department"

About: Pilgrim Hospital

Over all I was very happy with the way I was treated in this department by everyone from the minute I arrived to actually seeing the doctor but I have one crucial point to make which is that I couldn't understand a word the doctor said because of their accent.

Had I not been given an information sheet I wouldn't have had a clue what was wrong, what I should do about it or indeed anything else.

I feel better communication skills in medicine are essential and whilst those people used to hearing a particular doctor every day may get used to it and understand them clearly enough, those of us visiting once in a while have a great deal more difficulty.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Many thanks for providing feedback as it helps us improve our services.

All the doctors who work in the eye clinic at Pilgrim have a good grasp of written and spoken English. Unfortunately accent is not something that we have control over, as we do have doctors from various parts of the world.

All patients do have the option of asking again if they have not understood something and if they still struggle to understand, then there is the option of having somebody else explain this to them.

In future, if you cannot understand what the doctor or any member of staff says, then it will be worth asking if another member of staff can reiterate what has been said.

Mr. Mohit Gupta FRCS, FRCOphth