"Attendance at Secondary Optometrist Clinic"

About: Essex County Hospital

On Thursday I attended for my 6 monthly review. It started off well when I was seen for my vision tests early. However, it went down hill from there. I was due to see the doctor at 2.55 and this was not achieved. When I did see the doctor I regret that I was unable to understand a word they said to me. I had to have 3 sessions of eye drops each with a 20 minute delay (and I normally only have to have one set. I was sent for various retinal pictures to be taken which apparently were incorrect. There was a long queue of patients who were being called in and sent out to wait for further treatment.

There was no information being given as to how long we would be detained for. Normally I am done within 90 minutes. I was the second last patient to be called for by which time I was rapidly losing my sense of humour. I did make a complaint to the nurse and to the receptionist on leaving I was finally able to go at 18.45 when the hospital clinics had pretty well shut. I still do not know what the outcome of the visit was other that I have to re attend in six months which I would expect. I found the whole experience stressful and confusing and not one I would care to repeat.

I would like to know for future visits if an interpreter can be available so at least I know what is going on. I do feel that being able to communicate is a primary aspect of healthcare and in this visit it was sadly lacking.

Response from Essex County Hospital

I am very concerned and sorry to read about your experience and would appreciate discussing this further with you. I will also be sharing your story with the Service Manager Anne Morris for her to ensure that this does not happen again.

Please contact me on the telephone number below.

Tammy Diles