"Will nobody help me?"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

I tried to kill myself in March by taking a pack of anti anxiety pills I had recently got from my gp. I ended up calling the 111 line in desperation and 2 paramedics came to me and managed to calm me down, I then went to my gp to seek help because I feel I am suffering from depression and was referred to IAPT.

It took 2 months for Leicester IAPT to conduct a telephone interview with me. Another 3 months went by and nobody had got back in touch with me when I kept calling I was told somebody would call me back.

Eventually I got through to someone who told me I had been referred back to my gp to refer me to personality disorders? I contacted my gp and they have now arranged to refer me.

It's been 5 months since my initial attempt to take my life and I still feel the same and as low. Will nobody help me?

I have just read your story and I am so very sorry to read about your experiences and the length of time it is taking for somebody to help you.

I am going to contact IAPT and ask them to get in touch via Patient Opinion. Please look out for another reply to your story.

Please be assured that we do want to help and you will receive a reply soon

Jane

Response from Involvement Team , Involvement & Experience, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Thank you for sharing your experience on Patient Opinion. We would really like to hear more about your experience and understand what support you have in place now.

If you would like to talk to us please call us on 0116 2927010 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday and ask to speak to me, Lianne Bowles, Admin Support Manager.

I’m sorry that contacting us by phone has been difficult. As an alternative you can email the team at leicesteropenmind@nottshc.nhs.uk and ask me to call you back.

Lianne

Response from Amy Gaskin-Williams, Service User and Carer Involvement and Experience Manager, Involvement Team, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Posted on behalf of Peter Caunt, Operational Manager:

I am sorry both for the way you are feeling, and the distress you are experiencing from your depression and the way you feel that our service is not meeting your needs. I do hope that you contact Lianne Bowles so that she can put you in contact with a clinician within the service who can then review your case and discuss with you the care options available to help you.

IAPT services such as the Let's talk wellbeing service are set up to help patients with mild to moderate anxiety and depression. However if your problem is more complex or severe for the Let's Talk Wellbeing service, a number of different services are available from Leicestershire Partnership Trust, these are accessible through your GP. For this reason if you don't want to talk to the Let's talk wellbeing service we would advise you to speak to your GP.