"Hairmyers Hospital"

About: Ayr Hospital / Accident & Emergency Hairmyres Hospital / Cardiac Catherterisation Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

I developed chest pain at the weekend. My son called for an ambulance. The ambulance staff were very efficient and thorough. They explained what was happening and what they would be doing. I was taken to Ayr Hospital A&E where I was seen quickly. The staff explained I was having a heart attack, they initiated some treatment, then I was transferred to Hairmyers Hospital for emergency angioplasty.

The Cardiac Cath Lab team were prepared for my arrival and immediately performed my angioplasty. Throughout the procedure the staff explained what was happening and the procedure. Within 30 minutes I was pain free and transfered through to the Coronary Care Unit. I remained in CCU for 3 days and was discharged home.

I would like to thank Dr McGeoch, my cath lab nurse Siobhan, my cardiac physiologist Bernie and my radiographer Lorraine for looking after me, their reassurance, making me feel safe and that I would get better, for explaining everything things to me, I feel amazed that in a short time I was free of the awful crushing chest pain.

I would like the thank all the nursing staff who looked after me while I was in CCU, Especially Heather, Karen, Lisa, Margaret and Gemma, who were so attentive and introduced themselves at the start of each shift asking what they could do for me. As a retired nurse I was pleased to receive very good standards of care such as always making sure I had fresh water, providing food and drinks, having everything I need close to hand like my table and my nurse call buzzer.

I would like to thank Faye and Christine for my support and advice to get me up and about.

Thank you to Dr MacDougall for his care and help getting me home again.

Response from Martin Esposito, Patient Experience Manager, Corporate Affairs and Engagement Department, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear healing patient

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I was really sorry to hear about your heart attack, it must have been a very scary experience for you.

I was really glad to hear about the ‘efficient and thorough’ care that you received from the ambulance crew as well as the excellent care that you received from all of the staff at Ayr Hospital and Hairmyres Hospital. It sounds like there were lots of things happening to you during this time and what stands out to me from reading your story is that everyone was still able to explain what they were doing and make you feel safe. This person-centred care and reassurance clearly had a positive impact on your experience.

I was also pleased to read that you are now safe back home and would like to wish you well with your continued recovery.

Thank you again for sharing.

Take care

Martin.

Response from Anne Leitch, Senior Nurse, Medicine, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear A Healing Patient

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Patient Opinion. I am sure this would have been a worrying time for you and I am very pleased to hear that you received the treatment, support and advice that was required. I was also delighted to hear that all key information was communicated effectively to you.

Thank you specifically for taking the time to compliment the staff within the Cardiac Cath Lab, CCU and Cardiac Rehabilitation who managed your care. We endeavor to provide a person centered approach to care and this includes showing care, compassion and support to all our patients. I will ensure feedback is provided to all the staff that you have kindly mentioned.

I hope you are recovering well and thanks again for your positive comments. The staff will be delighted to receive this feedback, especially given the fact that it comes from a former nursing professional.

Kind Regards

Anne Leitch

Dear A healing patient,

What a lovely compliment to so may different staff. I am very pleased everything has worked out so well and you are now at home recovering. I will pass this to the A/E team at Ayr so they too know how well your care went.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us,

Best wishes,