"New entry system to mental health services hub"
About: Devon Partnership NHS Trust / Adult mental health Devon Partnership NHS Trust Adult mental health EX2 5AF
Posted by feenix (as ),
Sherbourne House, Courtnay street, Newton Abbot. Is the Mental health NHS hub for the Teignbridge area. accommodating Psychiatry, Psychology, therapy, depression and anxiety services amongst others.
They have recently installed a video phone entry system in the lobby.
the entry phone has several issues.
1. it has been installed at "average adult" height. disadvantaginging anyone in a wheel chair or below average height
2. it requires following a series of written instruction. not in easy read. disadvantaging anyone with reading difficulties or who have problems recalling a series of 4 or more instructions
also disadvantaging anyone with visual problems
also causing anxiety
3. the video is one way. this disadvantages any one who is non verbal (assuming the receptionist signs makaton/bsl anyway) also causing problems with anyone struggling with paranoia
4. the video phone requires verbal interaction, disadvantaging anyone with hearing problems
5. there is a written sign saying that there will no longer be stairwell access to the 2nd floor (where the patient services are) meaning everyone has to use a very small restrictive lift. causing problems with anxiety, personal space, and claustrophobia
6. The buttons on the phone require reasonable fine motor control, disadvantaging anyone with tremors, cerebral palsy or muscular problems.