"Wrong info from nursing staff"

About: University Hospital Aintree / General surgery

My mum has recently been transferred to this ward from Clatterbridge after treatment for cancer. When it was realised shed had an infection, she was placed on ward 20. My brother & I were told the Dr wanted to speak to us.

He thought she was there for palliative care & wanted to know about resus (y/n)! . Then I was told she had hospital borne pneumonia, my brother was told it is a bowel infection.

We (and she) thought her diarrhoea was caused by the liquid food, turns out she was being given laxatives by mistake. I am asking if she will make it out alive?

Response from Lynne Butterworth, Information and Project Officer, Healthwatch Liverpool

Hi there,

My name is Lynne Butterworth & I am one of the Information & Signposting Officers at Healthwatch Liverpool. Healthwatch Liverpool provides free independent information & signposting support & NHS complaints advocacy to members of the public in the Liverpool area - http://www.healthwatchliverpool.co.uk/what-we-do-2016.

It sounds as though your Mum is going through a very difficult time at the moment. Have you tried contacting the hospital's PALs (Patient Advice & Liason) team? They can be emailed on complaints@aintree.nhs.uk or you can give them a call on 0151 529 3287 & they may be able to support you quickly with your current situation.

If you would like to talk to us here at Healthwatch Liverpool, please ring our office on 0300 7777 007 or email enquiries@healthwatchliverpool.co.uk. We are open until 5pm Monday to Friday.