"Dissapointed with physiotherapy service"

About: Gartnavel General Hospital

The physiotherapist did not seem to listen, during my first appointment, when I let them know I was experiencing pain. I asked for some simple support for my legs, three times, but it was as if they had not heard me.

I had hoped for some help, advise, or practical plan. This was because I'd got to the stage that the healthy exercise recommended by my G. P. was becoming painful. Due to lack of exercise, my condition was deteriorating. I had waited for 6 months for an appointment with a physiotherapist, , and it has been disappointing and disheartening.

Another contributor to your website has said that s /he eventually got much better treatment at a private clinic. I'd like to go to a private clinic, but have been made redundant from work, and cannot afford this.

As it is quite important to keep up good morale when in pain, it has been discouraging to be treated by the physiotherapist as if what I say is irrelevant, and of no importance. I've tried really hard to keep on top of the pain, to exercise as much as I can. My NHS GP has been supportive and encouraging; offering various practical advice for many years. However the NHS physiotherapist seems to have little understanding, respect, or kindness toward a patient living with pain.

Response from Lisa Ramsay, Patient Experience Public Involvement Team Support, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Dear Ettrick Shepherd

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Patient Opinion. I am sorry to read about what happened during your physiotherapy appointment. We expect all of our patients to feel listened to and be treated with kindness.

I would like to be able to provide you with an update to the issues that you have raised here. To enable me to do that, would you please email me with some personal details. My email address is Lisa.Ramsay@ggc.scot.nhs.uk.

Best wishes