"Separated due to illness"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency

Taken to Lincoln county hospial via ambulance, I was understandably separated as I had severe abdominal pains and had suffered with diarrhoea and sickness for than 36 hours I was looked after well and given fluids etc. and told I could be discharged I asked the doctor if I could remain in bed in the separated room until my partner arrived to collect me this being an hours drive which I also explained. This seemed ok until 5 minutes later when I was told I had to vacate the room so it could understandably be deep cleaned due to my illness I explained my situation once again but to no avail and in no means in a mind for fighting my corner. I was then told to sit amongst the crowd of 40 - 50 people in the a'n'e waiting room in extreme discomfort with no shoes and in practically my night wear as I was brought in by ambulance. I don't see how keeping me separated from people one minute then mixing me with others the next can be at all correct especially in such an environment which strongly advises people on the subject and causes of such illnesses.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Js7,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you felt you were well cared for whilst in A and E. I am very sorry about the confusion regarding whether you could stay in the room you were being barrier nursed in.

We have a very high volume of patients come through A and E each day. We have to treat all patients in order of priority. Unfortunately I can only assume that the nurse in charge that day had to ask you to take a seat in the waiting room as she had other patients with ambulance crews who A and E were unable to assess due to lack of cubicles.

I am sure that as you had been seen by a doctor at this point they had established that your diarrhoea was not infectious, which is why you were asked to sit with other people in the waiting area.

I am sorry you felt you were inappropriately dressed to sit out in the waiting area and will raise this issue with the A and E team.

I once again thank you for your feedback and am very sorry you were not completely satisfied with your experience.

Yours sincerely,