"Mixed reviews but with some highlights"

About: University Hospital Lewisham

I was admitted as an emergency in DKA with a new diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes, the A&E staff were great although a little disorganised, losing my notes several times leading to delays.

I was moved to Chestnut ward and had first class care from the staff there, particularly the staff nurse and the HCA. My Team of Doctors lead by the brilliant Registrar were all great and I felt very safe and supported. I had good advice from the diabetic nurse and felt very able to cope with my diagnosis. I was moved to Alder ward on my last night which I was anxious about, despite being told it was a diabetic ward. I felt I had to fight to get my BM's and ketones tested and they forgot my insulin before breakfast. I am home now and have a follow up at the end of the week and overall I would like to say thank you to all the staff for saving my life and generally being incredibly supportive, polite and hard-working. A real credit to the NHS.

Response from Rachel Sugarman, Patient Experience Manager, Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Thank you for all your kind comments in regard to A&E and Chestnut ward, we have fed back your comments to the staff.

Please can you contact Lydia Battle who is the Matron for Alder Ward in regard to the your issues with getting your blood glucose readings recorded on Alder ward.

Mrs Battle's details are lydia.battle@nhs.net