"Mental health A&E experience"

About: University Hospital Aintree

I have visited this A&E on numerous occasions in the last couple of months due to mental health issues regarding ending my own life. The last time I visited A&E I waited 15 hours to be discharged, not only that but no beds were available so I was left in an isolation room. I kept asking staff were the mental health crisis team was and they all kept saying it is out of their hands. There was an extreme lack of communication between staff and I was left with little knowledge of my care plans. On top of this I saw an extremely rude member of staff working in mental health who basically told me to 'get over it'! I was physically well so I should not have been left in A&E with mental health issues. I was kept in a cold isolated room with no bed or comfortable chairs. I think that mental health crisis are something to be treated as seriously as physical illnesses and I believe that a 15 hour wait is unacceptable for this matter. My family and I were overall extremely upset by this experience.

Response from University Hospital Aintree

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us. We're sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with our A&E and Mental Health teams. If you would like to take it further, you can contact our Patient Advice and Complaints Team on 0151 529 3287 or by emailing compaints@aintree.nhs.uk. You can also write to:

Patient Advice and Complaints Team