"Extremely heavy nose bleeds"

About: Pilgrim Hospital / Accident and emergency

On Saturday night I got a very heavily nose bleed after half an hour my other half rang 111 service and they told us to head straight to a&e in Boston Lincolnshire. We went there around 8 ish and I didn't get seen until 12 at night. Then I was waiting in a room for another hour. By then my nose bleed stopped and they had a little look but was unable to see due to the blood clots. They later sent me home at half 2.

Explaining if it bleeds again come back straight away. Sunday morning around 11ish it started again so we rushed back to a&e and didn't get seen until around 3ish, by then again my nose bleed stopped. I felt very dizzy and faint. They had a quick look up my nose and said it does look quite red and said we can't do anything so if it bleeds again go to Lincoln which is an hour away. I can't explain how disappointed and scared I am for the treatment I got and for the worry I have got about the bleeding. I didn't get no explanation about why it's bleeding and why it has started. I'm now in bed feeling very faint and weak with no understanding on why this is happening.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Relfy,

I am saddened to hear that you had a stressful experience visiting the A&E department. I am also sorry that the cause of your nose bleeds were not explained to you on admission.

We have been experiencing extreme volumes of attendances to the department which has, at times resulted in prolonged waits for patients. We are really sorry that this is the case and are working hard to ensure that we have adequate staffing to support the service and are signposting people to the appropriate health professionals.

If you wish to discuss your complaint, please contact me through the PALS team (01205 446243), I will be more than happy to investigate your experience further.

Thank you for providing feedback, this enables us to reflect and improve our service. These comments will be shared with the team.

We all hope that you are now recovering. Again, please accept our sincere apologies for your long wait.

Kindest regards