"Heart Attack"

About: Queen Alexandra Hospital

On late Wednesday afternoon 3rd August I started to feel unwell , I phoned 111 and described my symptoms , which was pain in my chest that went up to my jaw. I was advised to dial 999 . It was now 7.00pm ,the ambulance and paramedics arrived 5 mins later.

I entered the ambulance and was examined by the paramedic crew and was given an ECG and morphine before we left the house .The team must have diagnosed that I was in the process of having a heart attack

The ambulance arrived at the QA hospital and I was transported directly to the CCU ward C7 theatre.The surgeon and their team were waiting for me as they already had the ECG information from the paramedic crew that I was in the process of having a heart attack.I was given a local anaesthetic . The surgeon and their team cleared my artery which was completely blocked and then inserted a stent, which I was informed was very successful.

I was taken to my hospital bed at around 9.30pm. All over in around 2 hours .

What wonderful organisation and service from the NHS and specifically from the QA .

I would like to thank the surgeons ,theatre team , the paramedic crew ,nursing staff and all others involved who all did an excellent and very efficient job on me. I was kept informed all through the procedure and was even shown the actual blockage that had been retrieved from the damaged artery , and finally the surgeon let me see the before and after scan of the damaged artery. I was discharged at 11am on Friday 5th and was home by 13hrs.

I am now taking it easy for the next few weeks.

Thanks again everyone and the

NHS

Peter Francis.

Response from Debra Johns, Patient Experience Officer, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Mr Francis

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your kind words with us. We are so glad that you had such a positive experience from everyone who helped you at such a distressing time and especially within the Cardiology Department.

Please be assured that I will share your comments with the teams involved who will pleased to receive such positive feedback.

May I take this opportunity to wish you well for the future.

Kind regards.