"I was disappointed with the way in which I was treated"

About: Ayr Hospital / Accident & Emergency Ayr Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

Over the past 12 years I have always thought the care I received through the NHS was great. However, when I suspected I had broken a bone in my foot and went to the Ayr Hospital A&E I was disappointed with the way in which I was treated.

I was seen by a staff member who examined my foot very thoroughly and carefully and agreed that I may have a broken bone but would need to have my foot x-rayed for a confirmation. She took me to the Radiology Dept for the x-ray. It was quite a distance to the department, bearing in mind I had a broken bone I was not offered a wheelchair, she just walked ahead of me and, because I could not keep up with her, she kept looking back at me as if I were loitering. We then had the walk back.

When we were back in the A&E she showed me into a small room, checked the x-rays and told me she would get a supporting boot for me to wear. I explained that I could not wear such a boot as I have a problem with my balance and a heavy boot would aggravate the balance problem. She said she would go and talk to an occupational therapist or physiotherapist to look at alternatives.

When she left I checked the time on the clock in the room – it was 12: 00 noon. At 1: 30 there was still no sign of her, had she gone for lunch? I went out of the room to see if I could find someone to ask what was going on. I found someone who said they would go an find her. After about 10-15 minutes she came back – no explanation about what had happened in the hour and half I had been kept waiting.

It's just not acceptable to leave a patient without any explanation. She seemed to have a very different attitude to other people working at the hospital.

Dear Quality1,

I would have thought a wheelchair would have been offered. I also must agree, this was a long time to wait on someone without an explanation or an apology. If you would like us to look into this further and provide you with an explanation, please email me at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk. If you can let me know your name, address and date of birth or CHI number, we can look into it for you.

I am disappointed that this was your experience on your visit to A/E and I am so sorry. In the meantime, I will pass this on to the management team for their consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

best wishes,

Eunice

Response from NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Hi Quality1,

I am Caroline Dickson, Clinical Nurse Manager for this area and I would like to look into this for you. Like Eunice, I was disappointed that this was your experience on your visit to A/E and I too would like to add my apologies. You can either contact Eunice (details above or you may also choose to contact me directly on 01292 614776.

I look forward to speaking with you,

Kind regards,

Caroline Dickson (Clinical Nurse Manager)