"Horrible experience"

About: Pilgrim Hospital

A visit to Pilgrim hospital is indeed a horrible experience, it starts from the lack of parking facilities ( for which you have to pay), there is a distinct lack of organisation which results in long waiting times at each stage, I waited for close to an hour for an x-ray, then was called through and told to undress, which I did and waited a further 20 minutes only to be told that they were 'servicing' the x-ray machine, another 20 minute wait for the other machine to be available,I then saw the doctor for less than 3 minutes and then waited for an hour for the Pharmacy to reach for a box of pills from the shelf and give them to me. The staff clearly lack motivation, few speak sufficiently good english to understand my questions, merely giving a disinterested shrug followed by " I don't understand" . The hospital is rated as 'Needs Improvement' by the QCC, and it is very clear why.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Scoffy,

I am so sorry for what was clearly a dreadful experience and whilst not wanting to diminish the frustration of car parking and the various delays which all caused further distress for you, the attitude and interaction with staff during each step was extremely disappointing to read.

We would hope that if there are any issues and delays (which will inevitably happen from time to time) that staff apologise, explain and do all they can to ease the situation for patients – I am very sorry that this was not the case for you.

Your posting provides a really good story that I can use in staff training and in various forums for patient feedback and I have shared it with our x-ray department and pharmacy. If you are able to email me at jennie.negus@ulh.nhs.uk and let me know which doctor you saw I could also share with him / her too.

Again please accept my sincere apologies but also my thanks for sharing your experience – it is really valuable to us.

Jennie Negus,