"Seamless care"

About: New Victoria Hospital / Minor injuries unit Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow / General surgery

I knew I had gall stones. I became unwell overnight with abdominal pain. I contacted NHS24. It was quickly decided that I needed to see a doctor. I was sent to the New Victoria Hospital, Glasgow. My details were there and I was seen almost immediately on arrival. The GP there saw me, administered a painkiller and arranged admission to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital. Transport across the city was provided. They too were waiting for my arrival in the Immediate Assessment Unit. I was seen by a doctor who prescribed further pain relief. Later, before 0800h, I was seen by the Consultant Surgeon on call. I had previously been seen by him regarding the gall stones. He added me to his emergency list and 12 hours after first contacting NHS24 I was on the operating table to have my gall bladder removed. I was transferred to Acute Receiving Unit 5 for a few hours to wait. Following surgery I was admitted to Ward 9D. The staff were fantastic. In fact all the staff were throughout my 36 hour journey from first phone call to discharge.

Response from Lisa Ramsay, Patient Experience Public Involvement Team Support, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Dear GBless

Thank you for taking the time to post on Patient Opinion. I am very pleased to read that you received care quickly by our staff at both the New Victoria Hospital and the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

I will make sure that your feedback is passed on to the staff that you have mentioned. They will be delighted to hear that their care made such a difference to you.

I hope you are now recovering well.

Best wishes