"Excellent A&E, unsafe AMU,caring Queens 3 ward"

About: Croydon University Hospital

Excellent A&E service - The doctor explained everything well, did what the doctor said they would, all the staff caring and efficient. Admission to AMU, however was understaffed, promises made for checks, tests, dressings, pressure care mattress went unheeded for 6 hours until staff change. Staff agreed to do things but explained they was busy (albeit in an annoyed way as I had interrupted them, I was advocating for my 94 year old mother in law, who has advanced dementia. I was not listened to and the care she received was not adequate. I felt I had to ask the other patients to look out for her after over hearing the 8pm staff change complaining it wasn't their role to offer a high level of care to someone with dementa and anxiety. She was transferred sometime in the night to Queen's 3.They provided the 1 to 1 care needed by a student nurse - who was lovely. The other staff listened and was responsive to what needed to happened and facilitated a safe discharge, with common sense.

Response from Hilary Frayne, Head of Nursing for Patient Experience, Croydon Health Services NHS Trust

Dear Karen

I am sorry that you and your mother-in-law had a mixed experience of care from this hospital, as all our staff aim to provide a high standard of care and an excellent patient experience. It is good to read that some of our staff did a great job and I have passed on your comments to the senior nurses responsible for A&E and Queens 3 ward so that they can share your kind words with the teams involved. Following your feedback about AMU I have discussed your concerns with the matron and she apologises for your poor experience there.

We value your feedback and your comments have been shared with the nursing team on AMU so that they can see the impact these events had upon you. As a direct result matron will focus upon communication and dementia care in the unit, so that improvements are made.

If, at any stage you would like to contact our PALS office with more information about your experience, the circumstances will be fully investigated. Our PALS office may be contacted by telephone on 020 8401 3210 or by email at ch-tr.pals@nhs.net. The office is open during the week from 9am to 4:45pm.