"A&E triage"

About: Grantham & District Hospital / Accident and emergency

The care I received was very good and, once seen by a doctor, very quick. The administration and triage awareness and review were very poor. I was triaged within 15 mins - great. I then sat and watched around 10/12 people with similar injuries register, be triaged, be seen by a doctor and leave within 45 of them arriving, whilst I waited 3 hours to be seen by a doctor after my triage. Once my husband checked with reception, I was seen within 10 mins, had an X-ray and reviewed again all within 40 mins. I fully appreciate the very nature of an A&E dept means it has emergencies arriving in ambulances which you don't see in the waiting room, so I always remain patient. However, on this occasion, it very much felt like my notes had been put down and forgotten about. Wouldn't it make more sense that part of the triage process meant I was referred for an X-Ray, ensuring this was then available for a doctor to review when they became available, making better use of both their time, and mine?

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Munchkin Sal,

Thank you for your feedback. It is never nice to hear we have got something wrong.

I would assure you your notes were not put down and forgotten about; we have two tracking systems in the department to ensure this doesn’t happen.

The only explanation I can offer is that a more senior Dr was called to help as the department was busy and he has picked up cards after a certain point to ensure people were seen in a timely manner and you were before that point.

I fully appreciate your suggestion of triage to X-ray and this is something we are keen to develop, nurses have to be specially trained to carry out this investigation.

Please accept my apologies for your long wait and my reassurance we will be doing what we can to get triage to x-ray in place.

Teresa Shepherd

Sister - Accident and Emergency Department, Grantham

Update posted by Munchkin Sal (the patient)

Thank you, Teresa. I appreciate the time you took to offer an explanation.