"Cold & Uncaring"

About: Montagu Hospital

Advised by my GP to attend minor injuries due to an injured knee, Unable to walk or weight bear and in extreme pain. I struggled to reception on crutches (I'd never used crutches prior to this). No smile from the receptionist who asked what the problem was, I told them, they asked how I'd done it, I replied, I don't know it's been hurting for a few days but gotten worse. they replied because I'd not actually injured it they couldn't see me. I asked if they were joking, they said no I'm not. I started to cry and said so I have to go all the way back to bawtry, the receptioniost said yes, we can't see you and walked away. They could see I was visibly upset and struggling but didn't offer any help or support. Other visitors came to comfort me and commented how disgusted they were at how I'd been treated.

I work for the NHS myself and would never treat anyone like I was treated, there was absolutely no compassion in the receptionist at all.

Response from Gill Pickersgill, Communications & Engagement Officer, Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback regarding your attendance at the Minor Injuries Unit at Montagu Hospital. We are truly sorry the attitude of a member of our staff was not of the standard we would expect. We pride ourselves on the high quality of care delivered by our staff and are disappointed that this was not the case in your situation.

I have passed your comments on the the head of the department who will discuss your feedback with staff. If you would like to discuss your concerns further please contact our Patient Experience Team on Freephone 0800 028 8059 or email: pals.dbh@dbh.nhs.uk.