"Excision of basal cell carcinoma"

About: York Hospital / Dermatology

My local Easingwold doctor referred me to the York skin clinic for examination of a small lesion on my left shin after Efudix treatment for one month resulted in no improvement.

An appointment at York Dermatology Clinic was made within 2 weeks in February 2016 and a specimen was taken from the lesion for histology. The histology results were not provided until end of April 2016 and basal cell carcinoma was diagnosed. This time lapse was excessive.

I was referred to Mr Lim's Plastic Surgery Clinic in early May 2016. The operation to remove the lesion was carried out successfully at the end of May 2016. This timescale was good and the whole procedure was dealt with very professionally. Communication was very good throughout.

Because I was to travel abroad for 3 weeks I was given instructions on changing my own dressings. The supply of materials and back up was first class. The whole team at the Plastic surgery unit provided a first class service in a friendly professional environment.

Response from Hester Rowell, Lead for Patient Experience, York Teaching Hospital NHS foundation Trust

Thank you very much for sharing your kind feedback, which we will pass on to Mr Lim and his team.

I am very glad to hear that your treatment was succesful and wish you all the very best for the future.

Hester Rowell