"73 year old female."

About: Grantham & District Hospital

After a fall on Friday 15th July I was taken by my daughter to A&E and booked in approx. 10pm. I was in great pain and could not bear any weight on my right leg. I was really concerned as I had suffered a hip fracture 5 years ago. I was taken through and put in an examination room where I was left for about 4 hrs with no one checking I was okay or explaining why there was such a long delay.My daughter took me to the toilet on that side and to our horror the wash basin was covered in blood she told a member of staff who begrudgingly wiped it over with a piece of hand towel no antibacterial spray and they didn't even rinse it in hot water. The member of staff failed to wipe the outside of the basin that was also covered in blood. Surely this is basic hygiene particularly in a hospital. I was eventually X rayed and luckily no fractures so discharged. I am convinced that I had been overlooked as when we went out through the waiting area the were no more people waiting yet others had booked in after me. We left the hospital at approx. 3 am.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for this feedback.

I am really disappointed that your experience of Grantham A&E was not a good one, this is clearly not my expectation of how things should be done, and needs addressing with the team members concerned.

To enable me to identify the staff on duty at the time you visited, I will need some more details from you. If I could ask you to contact the Grantham PALS team on 01476 464861, or by e-mail at pals@ulh.nhs.uk, with your name and date of birth.

Once I have this information I can identify and speak with the staff concerned, and remind them of the Trust’s values, particularly relating to patient dignity, communication and safety.

I can assure you that you would have not been overlooked during your visit as we have a number of ways of keeping track of patients once they are in the department. It is unavoidable that other priority cases are brought into the department, which can have a knock-on effect on patients already there and waiting. I can only apologise that you were not kept informed of any delays.

Thank you once again for bringing these issues to my attention, and I hope you are able to contact the PALS team so we can address your concerns more fully.

With best regards,

Teresa Shepherd,

Sister, A&E department, Grantham

Response from Chris Sharman, Patient Experience Support Officer, Patient Experience, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for contacting PALS with your details.

I hope, following your conversation with Sister Shepherd, she was able assure you that, as a Trust, we do take patient feedback seriously, and that the comments you shared with us will be used to ensure patients’ experiences will be better in the future.

Thank you once again for raising these issues with us.

Chris Sharman,