"Complete lack of advice and guidance on injury"

About: North Middlesex Hospital

I suffered a broken foot. I was given a boot and crutches, but told I would be advised how to use this at the fracture clinic. There the surgeon insisted on me shaking their hand when we met, despite me being on crutches and this being hugely inconvenient, the surgeon then told me I wouldn't need surgery, but didn't measure the crutches for me or tell me how to use the boot.

The surgeon also didn't sign me off work, I suspect because they erroneously believed teachers simply sit behind desks. 6 weeks later I was told by a colleague that my foot hadn't healed and so I needed the moon boot for another 6 weeks. If that doesn't work, I'll end up having surgery. I was again just told to keep using the moon boot, not whether this should be all the time or just when travelling about, I was given absolutely no guidance on how to best make my foot heal - not even to keep off it, just to use the moon boot. It's hot and uncomfortable, so I don't wear it at home. I've realised I don't know if I am making myself worse. Basic information on how to care for my injury needs to be provided. As a civilian, I simply don't know what eventualities I may face. I've been repeatedly questioned by friends and family who cannot believe I was allowed to work or even bear weight on my foot. It is extremely hard to trust doctors who appear to know as much about my foot as my neighbours do!

Response from North Middlesex Hospital

Thank you for feedback.

Patients are always encouraged to ask questions.

A surgeon is willing to answer any questions you may have.

There are information leaflets advising on how to use crutches and also the moon boot.

We are sorry if you felt the standard of information was lacking and not supportive.

I am the managing director for orthopaedics elizabethball1@nhs.net and will be sharing your comments with the team.